Let’s create a prayer strategy for family! Join me as we walk though the book of prayer strategies, Fervent by Priscilla Shirer.
Pin It For Later
Have you put together your prayer strategy for identity? I hope so! This week we are moving on to Prayer Strategy number four, family! If you’re just joining us, come on in! We’re working through the book, Fervent by Priscilla Shirer. If you want to purchase the book you can do so through this affiliate link by clicking here.
Prayer Strategy for Family
Family, where life begins and love never ends. I’m sure you’ve all heard this popular quote, and it’s probably something that resonates with all of us. I think that deep, unconditional love is what makes family so special to each of us. No matter what we’ve gone through, or the hurts we’ve inflicted on one another, or the time that’s passed between visits, family is family.
“If I were your enemy, I’d seek to disintegrate your family and destroy every member of it. I’d want to tear away at your trust and unity and turn everyone’s love inward on themselves. I’d make sure your family didn’t look anything like it’s supposed to. Because then people would look at your Christian marriage, your Christian kids, and see you’re no different, no stronger than anybody else – that God, underneath it all, really doesn’t change anything. ”— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
Family Can Be Complicated
Am I right? ha! We all have a little crazy in our families. Relationships that we struggle with, family members who we struggle to understand. We know how to get under each others skin, but we also know just the right thing to say to comfort one another. I love this chapter of the book, because I think our natural tendency is to blame all of the tension, or hurt, or little annoyances on one another. Maybe some of that isn’t self-inflicted, but the enemy is constantly at work trying to cause conflict and disrupt the love in our families.
“So when you and I begin feeling pressure and tension and splintering and conflict at home, when little trifling things start bunching together to become this one big thing – when nitpicking turns into bickering; the bickering into outbursts; the outbursts into rude, below-the-belt unkindness and bitterness; the bitterness into slow, seething pullbacks of silence and isolation – these things bear all the marks of an outside enemy.”— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
Family Relationships Can Be Tough
Our family and our relationships with those people in our family, are so very important. God divinely placed our families together for a reason. We need one another. And if it feels like that isn’t the case, then we need to pray for those relationships! If you have someone in your family, and your relationship with them is struggling or hurting, pray and ask God to heal the relationship, and soften your hearts toward one another. The love of God can heal the deepest hurts and even the most damaged relationships. If you’re feeling pretty good about where you are as a family, then pray for protection, unity, and a continued deep, unconditional love for one another.
If you’re following along in the book, Priscillia lists several verses specific for praying for your marriage, husband, and children on pages 86-91. Maybe you’re not married or you don’t have children, should you skip this prayer strategy? Absolutely not! Create a prayer strategy for your immediate family (parents/siblings), or for your future family (husband/children). We all know that family is not limited to blood, so don’t be afraid to pray for those people in your life who treat you like family!
Scriptures Regarding Family
- Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. Nor does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (ESV)
- Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (ESV)
- Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)
- You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. Love each other deeply with all your heart. 1 Peter 1:22 (NLT)
- Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 (ESV)
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Romans 15:13 (ESV)
- Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 (ESV)
- Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Romans 12:10 (NLT)
Create A Prayer Strategy For Family
Grab you Prayer Journal and craft your prayer strategy for family. If you don’t have the book, or a journal to use, I created this Fervent Prayer Strategies Journal for you! You can download and print it to create a journal of your own. Simply click here to sign up for my free Downloads of the Heart, digital library. The pages are 5 x 8, so you can staple them together and make a little journal, or trim them down and add them to your current journal or war binder using washi tape!
Want to learn more about war binders? This post What is a war binder and how do I create one? will answer all of your questions!
My Personal Prayer Strategy For Family
As I mentioned last week, I’ll be sharing my prayers with you to serve as inspiration as you work to craft your very own! Here is my prayer for my identity. Join my newsletter to gain access to my Downloads for the Heart library so you can download my prayer strategy booklet which contains all of my personal prayers!
I’m praying for you as you work to craft a prayer for your family. See you next week as we dive into prayer strategy number five on our PAST.
Rooted in the love of Jesus,
You Might Also Enjoy
Some of the brand links I share are affiliate links. These links provide me with a small compensation when you purchase items through my links at no additional cost to you.