Joy Jar Shabby Chic Tassel
Hello! I decided to create a joy jar to use this year so I made a DIY shabby chic ribbon tassel with charms to go along with it! I’m going to show you how to create your own ribbon tassel and give you a free tag printable so you can start writing down sweet memories, blessings, and answered prayers this year.
JOY JAR + DIY SHabby Chic RIBBON TASSEl
PIN IT FOR LATER
Joy Jar TERRARIUM:
I decided to use this metal black terrarium for my joy “jar” because I like the idea of keeping my notes in something like this instead of a plain jar. If I want to do something different next year, then I can use this one for plants. This one is from Hobby Lobby but I linked a few at the bottom of this post that I like a little better. The ones I linked open from the top, which works well for dropping in tags, pictures, and paper scraps.
DIY Ribbon Tassel HOW To VidEO:
DIY Shabby Chic Neutral Ribbon Tassel:
I wanted to add a little something to the side of my terrarium and I thought a tassel would look so cute! Y’all know I love neutrals and pastels, so I kept with neutral ribbon and added several different charms for a cottage farmhouse/shabby chic look. For the tassel topper I used a miniature wooden flower pot (linked below). I painted it with chalk paint in several shades of grey, taupe, and champagne. I added a clasp at the top so I could clip it onto the terrarium, or move it somewhere else if I want to!
Create a Cottage farmhouse tassel in 5 steps:
- Gather your stacked ribbon and cinch it in the middle. Wrap it with jewelry wire, making sure to leave a “tail” that can be pulled through the topper. (My ribbon was about 7-8 inches each.)
- Add your wire chain to the center of your ribbon bundle. Attach it with jump rings to the wire you just wrapped around the ribbon.
- Pull you tail through the topper (wood craft flower pot). Pull it tight so the ribbon is snug inside the topper.
- Add your charms onto the wire chain with jump rings. Slide it onto strips of ribbon and secure them with a knot.
- Grab your wire “tail” that is coming out of the top of your tassel. Create a small loop at the very base of the wire. Slip a clasp onto the loop and trim off any excess wire.
- Ribbon in 7-8" pieces
- Tassel topper (Wood Craft Flower Pot)
- Chalk Paint for Tassel Topper
- Wire Chain
- Jump Rings
- Charms and Beads
- Jewelry Wire (I used 20 Gauge)
- Large Jewelry Clasp for Tassel Top
- Jewelry Took Kit
- Wire Cutters
- Round Pliers
- Regular Pliers
- Paint Brush
- Gather your stacked ribbon and cinch it in the middle by wrapping it with jewelry wire, making sure to leave a "tail" that can be pulled through the topper. (My ribbon was about 7-8 inches each.
- Add your wire chain to the center of your ribbon bundle by attaching it with jump rings to the wire you just wrapped around the ribbon
- Pull you tail through the topper (wood craft flower pot) and pull it tight so the ribbon is snug inside the topper.
- Add your charms onto the wire chain with jump rings and/or slide it onto strips of ribbon and secure them with a knot
- Grab your wire "tail" that is coming out of the top of your tassel and create a small loop at the very base of the wire. Slip a clasp onto the loop and trim off any excess wire.
Free tag printable to write down your blessings
Collect your sweet memories, blessings, and answered prayers by writing them down on these tags and placing them in your joy jar.
This printable includes the blank tags and the front cover tag with the quote. I printed the cover tag on thick card stock, but I printed the others on regular printer paper. Once printed and trimmed, simply give them a hole punch. I stacked several blanks together and tied them with a loose ribbon to make it easy to grab one and jot down my thoughts. Don’t forget to jot down the date on each tag!
Consider printing off a few photos each month as tags and add them to your mini booklet!
Slide your completed tags onto a binder ring ever so often. At the end of the year you will have a mini book full of sweet memories with your loved ones. Read over them on New Years Eve to recount all the good in your life!
I hop you’ve enjoyed this post and that you feel inspired to make your own joy jar or ribbon tassel. I’m looking forward to being able to read back through all of our own blessings and sweet memories at the end of the year.
you might also like:
Shop this post
This post contains affiliate links, which provides me with a small compensation when you purchase items through my links. Thank you so much for supporting my business!